Analyzing
Problems Last week, you
completed a technique to determine the root cause of the problem that you think
your instructional design will address. The technique isn’t a formal procedure
in instructional design, but it should have helped reveal some key
considerations that designers make during the analysis phase. Determining
whether there is an instructional need is an important step to conduct before
jumping into designing instruction.
A performance
analysis assists the designer (you) in determining the problem, coming
up with possible solutions, and determining if the problem can be solved with
some form of instruction. You will have to critically analyze the situation
using a variety of tactics. The 5 Whys is a way to determine whether the
problem is instructional or non-instructional. Once you’ve determined the
problem is instructional, you should try to obtain multiple perspectives on
what knowledge, skills, attitudes, or values are needed to address the
problem—the goals or outcomes of the instruction.
A needs
assessment examines desired performance as compared to actual
performance. If people are performing at the desired level/expectation, then
there is no problem, thus no need for instruction. If there’s a gap between
desired and actual performance, instruction may be a solution to the
performance gap. However, the designer must analyze what instructional needs
would resolve that performance gap. For example, imagine that your school
principal states that teachers need to integrate more technology in the classroom.
As an instructional designer, you would need to obtain a clear picture of the
principal's expectations in regards to technology integration and then go about
determining the actual level of technology integration that's occurring in the
classroom, as well as the level of technology other skills of the teachers.
Be sure to
include both a performance analysis (to determine the
problem and whether or not instruction is the solution to the problem) and
a needs assessment (to clarify further what should be
addressed by the instruction) in your Instructional Design Document.
Analyzing
Context
After assessing
need and determining whether problem is instructional or non-instructional,
instructional designers formulate descriptions of the system, environment, and
organization in which the learning or instruction will take place and identify
resources available as well as constraints. In your eJournal entry for
this week, document your thoughts on the learning context for your
instructional design project. Pages 24 and 25 in the Richey, Klein & Tracey
text provide more detailed information on considerations for analysis of
context. You likely will have to conduct some research to gather information
about the school, district, or other organization that you’re targeting with
your design to inform your analysis.
Special note: Next week’s analysis will focus on
Learner Characteristics. Use this week to focus on system, environment, and
organization.
Since I am not yet a teacher I do not have a target group that I am
currently working with. I have based all of the information for this project on
my student teaching experience at the elementary level (K-5). The students I
taught were lacking the rhythmic foundations needed to be able to continue
their music education once they left for middle school, I decided to create a
course just for this particular instance of my teaching. (Pretending I am the
teacher of record for that school) The Garland ISD district in which I worked,
is very musically competitive once students have reach the secondary levels.
The students at my school were not going to be prepared for this level. I will
use this knowledge to complete my project going forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment